Apparent failure to yield results in pedestrian’s death

Even though pedestrians are a common sight across the Phoenix area, far too many motorists fail to take the steps necessary to recognize them and protect their safety. This is of critical importance considering that pedestrians are without protection, meaning that they are usually seriously injured when struck by a vehicle. The damages associated with these pedestrian accidents can be catastrophic, too, often leaving victims and their families reeling from the physical, emotional and financial losses that are suddenly thrust upon them.

According to reports, one Phoenix family may be in this position now after the loss of a loved one in a tragic pedestrian accident. According to reports, the victim, a 74-year-old man, was killed after he was struck by a vehicle at the intersection of 43rd Avenue and Union Hills Drive. Law enforcement officials indicate that the 41-year-old driver of the vehicle was making a left turn when the collision occurred. Although the motorist was making the turn on a green light, the victim was in the crosswalk and had a walk sign at the time of the accident.

Phoenix police didn’t indicate any signs of impairment with regard to the driver, but this doesn’t mean that he won’t be held accountable in a criminal court. Unfortunately, criminal action doesn’t do much to help grieving families. This is why an accident like this could justify a wrongful death lawsuit in civil court. If successful on such a claim, surviving family members may be able to recover compensation for the financial and emotional damages inflicted upon them. It might also help them obtain a sense of justice and closure.

Dealing with legal matters after being involved in an accident or losing a loved one in a wreck can be challenging. It is important to thoroughly investigate the matter to ensure all beneficial evidence is obtained and compelling legal arguments are crafted. Oftentimes, this is the best way of increasing the chances of succeeding in a personal injury or wrongful death lawsuit.

Contact Us

Findlaw Network